About Gloucestershire Music
“Music is a wonderful gift that can bring joy to every human. It has the power to bring communities together, builds friendships, enhances wellbeing and is academically challenging enough to develop the brain – how amazing! Music touches the soul and can change lives and we at Gloucestershire Music aim to enable everyone to have the opportunity to experience it.”
Lisa Mayo (Head of Gloucestershire Music)
Gloucestershire Music is the county’s largest delivery partner for the county’s Music Education Hub ‘Make Music Gloucestershire’, which is funded by Arts Council England.
- is to provide high quality, accessible and enjoyable musical experiences for children and adults. Our team is passionate about music education and making a difference to people’s lives through the power of music. Whether playing an instrument or singing is a hobby or a career path choice we have something to offer everyone, as we provide musical ensembles for all levels of learner.
- is to support schools and music educators around the county to confidently deliver music to young people in their classrooms
At Gloucestershire Music we...
- provide schools with whole class instrumental lessons, CPD for staff, special projects, workshops, support and advice…and more
- offer children and young people opportunities to play and perform together in our music groups – orchestras, wind bands, jazz groups, choirs and other ensembles, at our out-of-school hours music centres
- provide instruments – from bassoons to xylophones, through our instrument hire service to anyone in the County (not just pupils)
... and run other activities including workshops, masterclasses, and more!
We proudly organise some major music festivals for Gloucestershire:
- The National Concert Band Festival – we host it’s South West and Wales Regional Festival in the county annually
- Music for Youth – we have organised a major two-day Regional Festival in Gloucestershire every March for the last 5 years and it is one of the most well attended in the country
- BBC Ten Pieces events
- County concerts – numerous concerts are held throughout the year across the county showcasing the talents of our groups. Read about some of these on our News and Events page
- Tours and Residentials – some of our members and groups take part in amazing tours abroad! Read about our past tours here
At Gloucestershire Music we want to inspire our county’s musicians and young people and therefore we continue to work closely with National Partnership Organisations and professional ensembles and artists such as the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, National Choir of Great Britain, Birmingham Conservatoire (LEAP Ensemble), Tasmin Little OBE, Guy Barker, Julian Bliss, Craig Mather, Band of the Bugles and the Rifles, Philip Harper, Andy Coxon, Nathanial Morrison, Keith Allan, Alexander L'Estrange, 5 Mics and Tom Davoran to name just a few! We also work with otherneighbouring Music Hubs such as South Gloucestershire and Bath and North East Somerset to collaborate on major projects such as the Music For Youth Massed Ensemble for the Schools Prom at the Royal Albert Hall!