There are many opportunities to get creative and compose your own lyrics, songs, melodies or whole symphonies if you wish. Here are some great opportunities for young composers and lyricists to get involved with.
A CAROL FOR CHRISTMAS
Young Composers get their works performed at leading venue.
GM is encouraging young composers to get creative for Christmas.
On Sunday 9th December, GM will be holding its’ annual Christmas Concert at the impressive Pittville Pump Room. Each year the concert features the traditional Hark the Herald, O Little Town of Bethlehem and O Come All Ye Faithful. This year we are seeking composers, youth bands or solo performers to come up with a new version of one of these carols. Successful composers will get to hear their carol performed by our very own Gloucestershire Youth Orchestra, Youth Choir or the Oriel Singers. Alternatively young composers may opt to perform the work themselves.
Rules & Regs
- Use the original lyric of the carol of your choice as a starting point.
- Choose from one of the three following carols: Hark the Herald, O Little Town of Bethlehem or O Come All Ye Faithful.
- The new carol should use the same lyric but with a new melody and harmony.
- We would like you to be able to compose the carol for either a 3 - part choir (SAB) or 4 - part choir (SATB). It can have an accompaniment (piano / guitar) or even full orchestra if you like. If you are unsure how to score for this then you can simply perform it on an instrument of your choice and we can help you re-score it.
- If you wish to perform this yourself then please make sure you are available for Sunday 9th December so you are able to perform this live at the Pittville Pump Room in Cheltenham.
- GM will choose the winning carol (s) and inform the lucky winner by Friday 5th October 2018.
- Entire can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 1st October 2018.
- Please send entries via email as either a YouTube or mp3 recording or as a written score in PDF format.